Tuesday, February 15, 2022

i blame euphoria for this

It's to no surprise that a teenager like myself would have watched the popular HBO Max show Euphoria✨, which is a pretty controversial show. But one thing I love about it is its visuals. Sometimes I ignore the plot and just admire how they use color and lighting to develop the tone of each scene and each episode, as well as developing characters and their feelings. I've been addicted (no pun intended) to the second season of the show and I put two and two together: if I need to write from what I know, then what do I know better than teenage drama and trauma? 👍 So there you have it folks, here begins my journey to create the next coming-of-age teen drama that focuses mainly on the struggles of the modern life of teenagers and how this internet-based world affects their, our, mental health. 

Scene from Euphoria: 

In this scene, the director utilizes the abundance of the color purple to express royalty, richness, and eroticism. It is developing the character as someone who is brave, powerful, wealthy, yet also erotic, even for someone who does not watch the show and does not know the character's backstory with men. 





Because I'm an incredibly curious person (sigh) I jumped straight to researching color in the creation of movies, and to my surprise came across a variety of articles in which I chose to read further into. 

"The definition of Film Color Theory is a theory that states that certain colors in film elicit certain emotions from the audience. Manipulation of these colors can be used to guide the audience toward the intent of the author, juxtaposed against one another to send a message, or subverted to create dramatic irony." -No Film School 
https://nofilmschool.com/Film-color-theory-and-color-schemes

What this quote basically means is that colors and lighting in a production can unconsciously achieve a mood for the audience, for example, if the main color in a scene is blue, it is likely that the audience will feel sad, or feel the depressive tone of the piece, and sometimes without their acknowledgment. What I seek to accomplish with this is that in my piece I want the audience to feel overwhelmed alongside the character (I wanted to do something that relates to how someone with anxiety feels) and have the scene slowly go from a depressive blue to a burning red of madness and anger. 

When telling a story, colors:

·         Elicit psychological reactions

·         Draw focus to significant details

·         Set the tone of the movie

·         Represent character traits 

.         Show changes or arcs in the story

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/how-to-use-color-in-film-50-examples-of-movie-color-palettes/ 

As I said previously I want my piece to evoke feelings in the audience without them really understanding why, maybe they'll think they're empathizing with the character, but in reality, they'll be relating themselves with the character. Most teenagers nowadays have felt this anxiety or fear of what the world and the people on the internet think of them, and I want my piece to address that. As the lights shift from blue to red we'll also see the change of the character's mental state and emotions as they become more and more overwhelmed. 

I want to use blue as the main color for most of the opening because the character will most likely suffer from anxiety, and in this particular scene they'll be sad, anxious, scared, depressed, and just really tired, and I feel like blue paired with lowkey lighting would be the best options for the tone. 



Some examples of Color Theory being used in movies are:

In M. Night Shyamalan's movie The Sixth Sense, (picture on the right) the red-colored door is used to represent fear, dread, and foreshadowing; but in Gary Ross's Pleasantville, he uses red to represent hope, love, and sensuality. 



Now the movie, The Passion of Anna, directed by Ingmar Bergman, utilizes a change in color schemes throughout the movie to juxtapose two different sub-plots. The color red represents the passion of the relationships and the violence towards the animals.


"Bergman (or perhaps, cinematographer Sven Nykvist) establishes the emotional connotations of red in a beautifully simplistic change in color: in a sequence between Andreas and Eva the color changes from the cold blues, to hot reds, only moments after Eva kisses Andreas’ cheek for the first time." -http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2016/10-great-movies-that-use-color-to-signify-a-change-in-narrative-or-emotion/ 

I like the example of The Passion of Anna because the scenes not only utilize mise-en-scene elements with the juxtaposed colors but the overall look of the different scenes of the movie are in those colors, and that is more similar to the approach I decided to take with this project. Here's a picture as an example.


Sources: 

https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/film-movies-color-psychology/ 

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/how-to-use-color-in-film-50-examples-of-movie-color-palettes/

https://nofilmschool.com/Film-color-theory-and-color-schemes 

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2016/10-great-movies-that-use-color-to-signify-a-change-in-narrative-or-emotion/ 

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-color-psychology-of-purple-2795820 

No comments:

Post a Comment

it was the end of a decade... but the start of an age

 LONG LIVE THE WALLS WE CRASHED THROUGH 😭😭 why have I started the last two blog posts with a song... I'm clearly not mentally stable.....