Sunday, February 13, 2022

how the heck do I make a movie?

 I'm not gonna lie I'm tired of being formal and thinking about my writing too much so!!! Welcome!!! You're about to enter the insane world of a mentally ill Latina!!! No but seriously this is going to be one heck of a ride so get ready because once I start writing all my thoughts there are three things guaranteed:

1- You will go insane

2-You will regret reading this

3- You may want to be my friend and in that case hi :D 

Welcome to

THE FILM OPENING PROJECT 


There's something you should know about me and that is I am extremely creative, no I don't deny it I know I am but my god do I have the most complicated ideas to produce.
But you know what!! I'm not gonna be the only one to suffer now!! Because you're here!! Yay to you!!

At first, my mind flowed with multiple different ideas for the project I'm not kidding I have a whole document with different ideas (proof on the right) but I kept giving up on them because they were either hard to produce (film or edit) or I just couldn't make a story with them.

A wise person once said: Write what you know.
That wise person just so happens to be Andrew Stanton, yes the guy who creates movies for Disney's Pixar ((here linked is the TED Talk that I watched about him). And so I thought "Hm, it would be smart to follow this very successful man's advice huh?"  
And so I thought about might ideas, eliminated some because, well I'm not a criminal on the run am I? ...I promise I'm not... 
ANYWHO, I decided I couldn't do this without first knowing what exactly is expected on a film opening. And so I went on https://www.tstok.net/2020-2021-portfolios  and took a look at other film openings and blogs from students of past years. I found some that I really liked and one of them had some YouTube videos that really helped. I searched up some videos myself as well and took mental notes of all the things I needed to know before developing my story. 
(Acess the videos by clicking on the highlighted words or following these links) 


What I liked about these videos is that they gave me the basics of what a film opening should have, but did not set specific rules. As the "How to Begin a Movie" video said, there aren't rules for film making, but there are guidelines, which often can be broken and can create incredible movies, but it is very risky to do so and personally I will probably follow those guidelines. Better safe than sorry!!!

Even after researching the topic, I was still having trouble with coming up with ideas that would be doable for a 17-year-old high school student with no budget or much experience at all. After much struggle, I decided to go on a call with a friend and try to get different ideas and opinions on what I should do. We developed that list more and she actually helped me so much. She said that a coming-age movie would be the easiest to produce and report to, and you can still create mystery in its opening.

We both really liked the idea of using color to set the tone of the movie, and I'm thinking about buying some LED lights for it... not really sure. I also wanted it to be set in modern times because the main goal of it would be to show the struggles of someone suffering from anxiety and other mental disorders and how they navigate in this world where everything is done online. People can be anonymous, cyberbullying exists, and everyone holds this fake image of themselves online to make others feel less-than and how that has a toll on someone's mental health. 

I've also begun thinking of the editing process. Yes I know it's a little early for that but I think it's important to think with the end in mind, meaning I can't plan for this super intricate effect-filled piece if I have no way to edit it correctly. I will probably get Adobe Premier and watch video tutorials on different editing techniques to get used to it before having to edit the actual project. 

That is all I have for now but expect multiple postings throughout this whole process because I need somewhere to share my thoughts and organize my ideas and, well, seeing as you're still reading this, you want to hear them!!! Good luck!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

it was the end of a decade... but the start of an age

 LONG LIVE THE WALLS WE CRASHED THROUGH 😭😭 why have I started the last two blog posts with a song... I'm clearly not mentally stable.....