Thursday, February 24, 2022

a bare-bones outline

 Oh my god, this is my second favorite part of the project!!! Fun fact, one of the things I've considered doing after graduating is screenwriting (actually the reason I joined this class 👀) and I think it's so fun. It was definitely a lot harder to write than I thought it would be, but it took me no time to research all the rules of formatting I needed to follow.

Through my research, I learned that:

I'm writing something that is ultimately going to be audio-visual, and that has a whole host of implications. As a screenwriter, I need to have certain obligations to fulfill:

  • Follow universal scriptwriting conventions;
  • Format the script correctly;
  • Strive to meet the demands of the people I'm initially writing my script for: directors, producers;
  • Strive to meet the demands of the people I'm ultimately writing the script forthe audience. 

Standard Screenplay Format:

  • 12-point Courier Font"
  • 1.5 inch left margin
  • 1-inch right margin (between 0.5 inches and 1.25 inches), ragged
  • 1 inch top and bottom margins
  • Around 55 lines per page regardless of paper size. This excludes the page number and spaces after it
  • Actor parenthetical (wrylies) 3.1 inches from the left side of the page (1.6 from the margin)
  • Dialogue speaker names (in all caps) 3.7 inches from the left side of the page (2.2 from the margin)
  • Transitions are capitalized (sometimes important props, sounds, and camera movements)
  • Dialogue 2.5 inches from the left side of the page (1.5 inches from margin)

Keep in mind this is the first-ever screenplay I've written, and a lot is subject to change if I think different shots or lines look and sound better as I'm filming and editing. This is basically a spec script, the bare-bones outline of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

it was the end of a decade... but the start of an age

 LONG LIVE THE WALLS WE CRASHED THROUGH 😭😭 why have I started the last two blog posts with a song... I'm clearly not mentally stable.....